Sunday, January 27, 2013

First stop...somebody bigger than me.

There have been a lot of interesting events lately that I have been made aware of.  Most of which are not worthy of  mentioning in a blog.  But, the heart of the matter, as it were, has left me in a quandary.

It seems to me, as I look around, that most of us do not start with the source of the problem.  Go with me on this journey for a minute. 

  • Mary has an argument with her husband, she tells her friend.
  • Johnny has a disagreement with a co-worker, he goes to his boss' boss!
  • The telephone company billed me wrong, I call customer service and immediately ask to speak with the manager of the person answering the phone.
  • My neighbor backs out of his driveway and backs over my trash can, I call the police.
  • A child has an argument with another, both parents post it on facebook (obviously everyone needs to pick a side)
Get the picture?

My contemplation:  It seems to me that we spend an awful lot of time seeking out someone more powerful than ourselves.  Are we really so weak, or do we actually know we have blown the situation completely out of proportion?  One last or...  was it what we have been taught to do?

The journey continues...

Joey pulls Suzie's hair in school.  Suzie has been taught "tell the teacher"....  We have been trained from the beginning of time to "take it to a larger power".  Somewhere along the line, we need to be re-taught that it is OK to turn around and say, "please don't pull my hair!"  GO to the source.  I think that on so many occasions we would be surprised how much power we actually have to control our own destiny. 

I challenge you....  If you have a problem, start your confrontation with the source, should that fail, work your way up the ladder until you achieve your desired result (or, remember, a reasonable one!).  After all, why else do we need the ladder? 


Oh, and it might be a good idea to pray about it too, you just might see the light sooner than you think!

Seeking out blame is never productive.  Seek out change!


Always room for more thoughts from the shower...








2 comments:

  1. Ooh, ooh, ooh, can I comment please? This is EXACTLY what our family read in our Bible time tonight, if I may. Straight from the mouth of Jesus. Note..the word brother can mean anyone you are dealing with at the moment.

    Matthew Chapter 18

    15 “If your brother or sister[b] sins,[c] go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[d] 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

    18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[f] loosed in heaven.

    19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Rosie! So many more thoughts about this swirl in my head!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome. Please remember to prove you are a real person :)